Error 504 Gateway Timeout
If you’ve received this message you may have a messy browser that needs a good airing out!
QuickBooks Online is a web-based (i.e. Cloud) software, so running it relies on a browser that also runs smoothly. From time to time, an overloaded browser history can impede the use of QuickBooks Online. A common issue resolved by clearing your browser data is an error “504 Gateway Time Out.”
Intuit Support recommends using Google Chrome as your browser and they also recommend clearing your browser history from time to time, to ensure uninterrupted use of QuickBooks Online.
Here’s how to clear your browser history in Chrome:
- Open your Chrome browser and click the three dots at the top right to open the Chrome menu.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings screen and click the word Advanced to see more options.
- Select Clear Browsing Data.
- In the Clear Browsing Data screen, open the Advanced Tab.
- Select the date range = All time.
- Turn the checkmarks on beside:
• Browsing History
• Download History
• Cookies and other site data
• Cached images and files
- Click Clear Data.